If you are brand new to App Inventor, check out our Getting Started page.
App Inventor Starter Curricula
If you are interested in bringing MIT App Inventor to your school or organization, the following curricula are a great way to do so. While we have several curricula among our other resources, we wish to highlight these for their breadth in covering the capabilities of App Inventor.
- Middle School Course Approval Framework An example form that a middle school teacher filled out to propose her new Mobile Apps course.
- Learning App Inventor book Twelve free "tutorials" from the book, "Learning App Inventor." Tutorials introduce computer science concepts like variables and databases instead of walking students through making a specific app.
- Kentucky KATE Training Workshop Curriculum for a 2-day program to train teachers in App Inventor.
- JCU Course: Introduction to Software Application Development A course taught at John Carroll University. Students use App Inventor for the first half of the course and Python for the second half of the course. The website provides detailed, comprehensive day-to-day activities.
- IT help for setting up App Inventor in a school Letter to the IT department to help them set up a classroom that can use App Inventor.
- I Love My Smartphone full curriculum A set of Scottish curricula for mobile computer science that includes a "Tutor Pack", "Learner Pack", a set of screencasts, and associated apps and media files.
- Extended Maker Cards: #3-#16 This set of cards can be used in a workshop or a "Maker Faire" type of event. They give quick tidbits of code for building mini-apps with App Inventor. Use them in exhibits, parent nights, STEM fairs, after-school clubs, or anywhere that you need to get people jump-started using App Inventor.
- Dutch App Inventor Curriculum Several PDFs of full App Inventor curricula with some additional resources.
- CS Principles for High School Teachers A 4-week summer graduate course that teaches teachers Scratch, App Inventor, and Google Sites. The website includes daily lessons, activities, and answers that include screenshots and extra information.
- Concept Cards A set of concept cards that teaches students how to build modules of App Inventor blocks for specific tasks such as drawing on a canvas or speech recognition.