Search Site

Fair Use & Creative Commons with Media

App Inventor for Educators Forums Educator Forum Fair Use & Creative Commons with Media

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Bryan Twarek
    Participant

Are there guidelines for how students can use media (images, sounds/music, videos) in apps that they develop? If apps are only used for educational purposes, are students enabled to use even copyrighted media? I suspect that students should be using open source media, though fair use may be appropriately applied here. Even with Creative Commons-licensed materials, I’m not sure what the best way is to attribute the source of the media.

With regards to this, I have a few questions:
    1) Does fair use apply, or should students always use open source (or their own) media?
    2) How should students attribute the source of the media they use when creating apps?
    3) Do you have any lessons that teach students about copyright and responsible media use? I know Common Sense Media has some, but I haven’t tried them.
    4) What are the best sources or search engines for open source media?

Here are some of the ones I’ve found:
    All Media: Creative Commons Search, Wikimedia Commons
    Images: Photos for Class, Google Image Search (usage: noncommercial reuse with modification), Flickr (Creative Commons search)
    Sound: Sound Bible, Free Music Archive
    Video: YouTube (filter for Creative Commons), Vimeo (filter for CC license)

I just found that course in Coursera Copyright for Educators & Librarians

It seems that the course have a lot of useful information regarding your matters

I have enrolled this course 🙂

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar